Martineau Drug Store and Soda Fountain
Next | Previous | Return to Map
The drug store (on the right in the photo) was built by Donat J. Martineau. After his death in 1924, his brother Albert inherited the business. For a time, the building had the only telephone in Arcadia;, and Albert personally delivered telephone and Western Union messages. Utility bills were paid here, hunting and fishing licenses were issued here, and Greyhound Bus passengers arrived and departed from this location. The soda fountain was a favorite gathering place. The post office, which was previously a bank, and drug store are now a privately owned residence.