The Bridge Pier
Next | Previous | Return to Map
At this site in 1881, Henry Starke built a bridge pier (similar to the Burnham pier shown in the photo) that eventually extended about 1,000 feet into Lake Michigan. Weather permitting, it was used until 1893 when a channel was constructed between Lake Michigan and Lake Arcadia.
In 1922, this lake front property, which extends south about 1,200 feet, was part of a land gift to Camp Arcadia from the Starke family. In July 2001, the property was purchased by the Arcadia township from the Lutheran Camp Association with a grant from the Michigan DNR. The viewing platform on the site today was built by the Arcadia Lions Club.