The Malcolm School
This is Pleasonton Township School District No 2, also known as the Malcolm School. One acre of land was purchased from David Green for $50. F.M. Stockman constructed the building for $600. The school opened in September 1886.
Malcolm School for 1902-1902
In 1887, a board fence was built around the lot, and shade trees were planted. The belfry was added in 1888.
The Malcolm school was originally called the Wass School. It replaced a log school built in 1870 southeast of the new wood frame school's location. The log school called the Wass School or Old Log School. When the Starke Land and Lumber Company's narrow gauge railway was upgraded to standard gauge for the Arcadia and Betsey River Railway, land was purchased from Daniel Malcolm for warehouses, the pickle station, and store. On railroad maps, the stop was called Malcolm, so the school became known as the Malcolm School.
If you have any information to share about this school or others, please contact us.