The Pere Marquette Line
Pere Marquette No. 6
The Pere Marquette No. 6, shown here arriving at the docks in Arcadia, Michigan, replaced the John D. Dewar in providing passenger and freight service to Arcadia.
In the fall of 1905, Gus Kitzinger, owner of the Pere Marquette Line, bought the M.B. Covell, which was a steam barge similar to the Arcadia. That winter she was retrofitted with passenger cabins and freight space between decks. In the spring of 1907, she was renamed the Pere Marquette No. 6 and joined the fleet of "Black Boats."
Pere Marquette No. 8
Several steamers in the Pere Marquette Line stopped regularly in Arcadia. This photo from a postcard shows the Pere Marquette No 8. docking in Arcadia in 1912.
The Pere Marquette Dock
The Pere Marquette Line had a dock along the northeast shore of Bar Lake approximately where the marina is today.
P.M. No 6 Docked
P.M. No. 8 in Channel